Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Chicken Cordon Bleu

Derrick requested this dish for Father's Day, so I made it yesterday.  I admit that touching raw chicken for as long as this recipe requires was a little trying for me, and I swore I'd never do it again.  But the flavor really was fantastic, so I guess if I get adventurous, I will make the dish again!  The Cajun seasoning and cayenne pepper really give it a kick, but then I love anything with spice!  This photo isn't actually the real thing.  I took it off the internet because I forgot to take a picture!
4 T butter
1 C flour
4 boneless, skinless breasts of chicken
2 eggs lightly beaten
4 thin slices smoked ham
6 oz Swiss or Gruyere cheese, cut into 4 chunks
2 C bread crumbs
1 T garlic powder
1 T salt
1 T freshly ground black pepper
1 T paprika
1 T Cajun Seasoning
1/2 t. cayenne pepper

Breading:
Combine all the ingredients from Bread Crumbs down.  Mix well and place in a large dish.

Preheat oven to 375.  Melt butter in glass baking dish.  Lightly flatten chicken breasts between plastic wrap with mallet.  Lay 1 slice of ham and 1 piece of cheese on flattened chicken breast.  Fold in half and seal closed with toothpicks.  Repeat process for remaining chicken breasts.  Coat each piece with flour, then eggs and then bread crumbs.  Place chicken pieces in glass baking dish.  Turn to coat with butter.  Bake for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown.  

No comments: