Sunday, June 29, 2008

Brisket Tamales

This is Guy Fieri's recipe, but I used green chile sauce instead of red because I prefer the flavor.  I also made a couple other changes, for which I changed the recipe below.  These tamales rock!  I like that they do not have lard in them, but still have a great texture-- and they were so easy to make!  You could really use any meat with these, but I really did love the brisket.  Oh, and Derrick wanted me to say that these tamales "are the all-time favorite tamales.  WAY better than the ones I had in Cancun, and better than my employee Dora's."  I don't think they are better than Dora's.  But they are a good second when I am craving her's.

3-Pound Beef Brisket
2 T kosher salt
6 C water, divided
4 T Canola oil
2 Cups enchilada sauce, store-bought (I used Costa Vida's green chile enchilada sauce)
24 Tamale husks
2 cups masa harina (fine corn flour)
3 cups water (approximate)
2 T melted butter
3 t salt

In medium braising pot, simmer beef in salt and 3 cups water for 1 hour or until meat can be shredded with a fork (I ended up cutting up the brisket after an hour and cooking it for another hour before it was shredable).  Shred beef and let it cool completely.

In a medium saute pan, add oil and fry meat for 3 to 5 minutes or until crispy.  Add enchilada sauce and simmer for 15 minutes.

Soak husks in water for 30 minutes.

Mix masa, water, butter and salt into a THICK paste.

Apply 5 T of the masa mix into the center of the corn husk.  Cover with plastic wrap and roll into a thin layer.  Add 2 T of the meat to the center.  Roll one edge of the husk over and press masa around the meat.  Peel the husk back from the masa you just rolled over the meat, and bring the other edge over to cover the entire tamale.  Fold end over.

Place a colander in a large pot of boiling water, but do not let the colander touch the water.  Place the tamales in the colander, cover and allow steam to rise to the top.  Steam the tamales for 30-40 minutes, or until ready.

These are great served with the Cilantro Sour Cream.

3 comments:

Blake said...

I have been looking for a recipe for that sauce (the Costa Vida's green chili enchilada sauce). Do you make it yourself or is it actually available to purchase in a bottle at the restaurant?

Jen Tornow said...

I just buy it at a Costa Vida location. They have sold it to me in cup- or pint-sized containers.

Anonymous said...

It's not Authentic, unless you use lard and also it's not as moist and good. People mostly want Authentic....
genuine, real.