Monday, November 15, 2010

Thai Panang Curry


I posted a great Massaman Curry recipe a couple of months ago, and this Panang is another one of my favorite Thai curries. It's good with either chicken or beef, but I typically make it with beef. A great thing with curries, is you can throw in vegetables that need to get used up, so a lot of times, I will just use what vegetables I have on hand.


1/2 lb Beef sliced very thin (I like to use a lean Sirloin Tip roast, and I just shave pieces off of it)
1 Tablespoon oil
1 1/2 Tablespoons Panang Curry Paste (I like Mae Ploy brand)
Coconut milk

Put oil and curry paste in a pan and cook together for a couple of minutes, or until the oil comes to the top. Add the meat and 4 Tablespoons coconut milk. Cook slow until the meat is tender (about 15-20 minutes or longer).

Add the following:

1 Tablespoon brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt (can also use 2 Tablespoons of thin soy sauce)
1 Kaffir Lime leaf torn in half
1 carrot, peeled and cut into pieces
1/2 cup peas (I just use frozen)
1/2 cup sliced red or yellow bell peppers

Cook for 5 more minutes or until the vegetables get cooked. Don't overcook, as you want the veggies a little crunchy, not mushy.

I prefer to have a saucy panang, so I always add the rest of the can of coconut milk at this point.

No comments: