Monday, August 2, 2010

Thai Massaman Curry


I LOVE Thai food, and this Massaman recipe is just as good, if not better, than the Massaman I can get at my favorite Thai restaurant. Love it, Love it, Love it. I made it yesterday, and of course I didn't take a picture, so ignore whatever is green in the photo above, and that's what this recipe looks like! I will almost always double this recipe, cuz really? Who doesn't love leftover curry?

INGREDIENTS:
1/2 lb cut-up Chicken Breast, I like to shave it pretty thin. (Sirloin Tip Roast works with this too)
3 Tablespoons raw peanuts (no salt)
1/2 peeled potato, cut into chunks
1/4 yam, or sometimes I substitute with a carrot, cut in chunks
4 Cups Water

Boil water, then simmer the above ingredients until the meat is tender (up to an hour with beef).

PREPARE CURRY:
1 Tablespoon oil (olive oil works)
1 1/2 Tablespoons Massaman Curry Paste (I love the Mae Ploy brand)
4 Tablespoons Coconut Milk

Heat oil in pan. Stir in curry paste and continue stiring for about 5 minutes, or until the oil comes to the top. Stir in the coconut milk and stir about 3 more minutes until the flavors are mixed in.

ADD THE FOLLOWING:
1 C additional coconut milk
1/4 C water
2 Tablespoons thin soy sauce (or a little less than 1/2 teaspoon salt. I do the salt)
3 Tablespoons sugar (start with 2 Tablespoons and taste to see if you want more)
1 teaspoon peanut butter
1/2 teaspoon lime juice (from fresh lime)
1/4 Onion, cut into pieces
Chunk Pineapple (as much as you like)

Drain water from meat and potatoes and add to the curry sauce. Stir to combine and serve hot over rice.

7 comments:

amanda said...

can't wait to try. massaman curry is my favorite! have you ever tried this in a crock pot? wouldn't that be great to just throw it all in and voila--massaman curry?!

Jen Tornow said...

Let me know how it works if you try it in the crock pot. But honestly, it's a pretty easy one to do on the stove top. And it doesn't take too long. Massaman is my favorite, too!

amanda said...

oops, forgot to ask...can you tell me what you mean by "thin" soy sauce? do you mean if you don't have "thin" soy sauce than add an extra 1/2 tsp salt to the soy sauce? thanks! bought my massaman curry paste today!

Jen Tornow said...

Honestly, "thin soy sauce" was on the recipe that the Thai cook wrote for my mother-in-law. But she had actually substituted the salt for it (so NO soy sauce, just salt). It's the only way I've ever made it, so I say just scratch the idea of soy sauce and just use the 1/2 tsp salt.

bandele said...

How do you shave chicken? With a mandolin? I was thinking to toss chicken breasts into freezer for a few minutes to firm; then taking the mandolin to them! Most people use chicken chunks but I think thin strips would be a cool variation. Also, do you add strips at the very end to keep them tender as they r thin. Thank-you!! Bandele....

BTW... had this recipe the other day from mutual Friedman had to have the recipe. It is on par with anything served at a restaurant.

Jen Tornow said...

Bandele! I think the idea of freezing the chicken breasts for a bit and using a mandolin is a brilliant idea! Until now, I have just used a sharp knife and shaved it with that. Derrick had mentioned that I should freeze them first, but neither of us had thought of a mandolin. I'm totally going to try that!

No, you don't need to add them at the end. I have always followed the recipe and boiled it from the beginning, and I love how it turns out. But if you try it differently, I'd love to hear how it goes!

If you haven't found it already, there is a Thai grocery store on 300 South in Provo that sells everything you would need for Thai food. I think the Mae Ploy brand curry paste is the BEST one to use.

bandele said...

Hey Jen,

I am excited to use your recipe as it is "tried and true." I don't remember the last time I followed a recipe without improvising, or reading comments for suggestions. However, a mutual friend made me your recipe (they gave you credit); and I was so impressed that I would have licked the bowl. Honestly your recipe is on par with any Thai restaurant that I enjoyed during my 5 years in San Fran!

I will be sure to follow-up on how the "mandolined" chicken turns out. I rarely use that tool, so this is an added benefit.

Mae Ploy brand for sure.


BTW- I found this incredible "all things Asian" market which I will email you with pics. The place is amazing and is just off of 9000 South on I-15. Thank-you.