Monday, November 15, 2010

Fresh Spring Rolls


I got this recipe from the Thai grocery store where I buy my Thai ingredients. At our Thai food dinner party, it was fun to have our friends roll their own spring rolls. That way, they could adjust the ingredients to their tastes. I personally don't love a heavy mint flavor, so I put very little mint in mine. And you guessed it, this photo came from the internet because I didn't take my camera out at the dinner party!

Recipe makes 4 servings (2 each)

INGREDIENTS:
8 rice papers
1/2 Cup Thai basil leaves
16 springs cilantro (cut off the stem)
8 shrimps (peel, clean, boil--I like to boil them in salted water with a bit of minced garlic)
1 Cup rice noodles
4 romaine lettuce leaves
1/2 Cup mint
1/2 Cup grated carrot
1 cup bean sprouts
1 cup shredded cooked chicken

Soak about 1/4 of a package of rice noodles in warm water for 5-10 minutes. Boil some water in a small pot, drain noodles and put in boiling water for 1 minute and drain.

Rinse bean sprouts and cook in microwave for 1 minute, they should be lightly crispy.

Put very warm water into a bowl large enough to dip a rice paper under the water.

Put one piece of rice paper at a time under water for about 10 seconds. Take rice paper out of water and lay flat on a cutting board.

About an inch from one end of the rice paper, layer the ingredients in the following order:
Small piece of romaine
Cooked rice noodles
3-4 basil leaves
2-3 mint leaves (I only do 1)
2 sprigs of cilantro
bean sprouts
shredded cooked chicken
grated carrot

Fold the end over the ingredients and roll 1 time. Fold the other two sides over. Lay shrimp (slice shrimp in half so that one spring roll uses only 1 shrimp, but looks as if there are 2 shrimp) on the rice paper. Continue to fold rice paper to the end.

We like to dip our spring rolls in peanut sauce or Sweet Chili Sauce. I have not made a homemade sweet chili sauce, but I do like Pantai's Sweetened Chili Sauce that I bought at the Thai grocery store.


No comments: